- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 Cosmic Crisp™ apple, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut (optional)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan. In large mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir to blend.
- Add buttermilk, oil, and egg whites; beat just until blended. Stir in apple, dried fruit, and nuts. Spread batter evenly in pan and top with coconut, if desired. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and cut into 10 bars.
A great take-along snack packed with the goodness of grains and fruit.
Servings: Makes 10 Bars
Protein 4g; Fat: 7g; Carbohydrate: 39g; Fiber: 2g; Sodium: 298mg; Cholesterol: .6mg; Calories: 232.