There are 72 calories in 1 medium Cosmic Crisp™ Apple.
Calorie breakdown: 3% fat, 96% carbs, 1% protein.
Apples are fat, sodium, and cholesterol free. A medium sized apple has less than 100 calories which makes it the perfect snack. Apples rank low on the Glycemic Index. This means that carbohydrates in apples boost blood sugar less rapidly than other foods.
Apples truly are the ´superfruit´ for everyone. The health benefits of apples and apple products were first recorded as early as medieval times, giving rise to the old English saying “Ate an apfel avore gwain to bed Makes the doctor beg his bread” and its modern day variation, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.”
Research has verified this statement and recent studies have linked apples/apple products to helping with everything from weight loss to different types of cancer, heart disease, type 2 diabetes and even asthma.
Some of the most recent studies on apples and apple products have linked apples with improving the symptoms of Alzheimer´s disease and possibly decreasing your risk for developing it as well as improved immunity and gut health due to the pectin (soluble fiber) found in the apples peel.
To view a summary of the research done on apples to date, with references, click here to download U.S. Apple Association's research summary.
Fun Apple Facts
- Washington Apples are each picked by hand
- It takes the energy from 50 leaves to produce on apple
- Apple Tree's take 4-5 years to bear their first fruit
- Keep apples at 32 degrees to maximize apple shelf-life and minimize shrink
- Apples ripen 6-7 times faster at room temperature, than if they are refrigerated
- Most anti-oxidants in apples are found in the skin
- Americans eat approximately 19 pounds of fresh apples annually, compared to about 46 pounds consumed by residents of european countries
- Apples are a member of the rose family
- Apples assist in cleaning your teeth